If you’re an HR Generalist, you’ll have to confront a range of challenges, every day. From hiring and firing, to payroll organization and performance management – and everything in between. You’ll need to be up-to-date on employment laws too, including the FMLA, ADA, COBRA, FLSA, and IRCA.
This three-day course covers every function of HR management, giving you practical strategies for everyday situations and comprehensive knowledge to perfect your HR skills. After your course ends, we’ll even send you updates when the laws change, so you stay in the know.
During this intensive training program, you’ll explore the essentials of effective HR management on our award-winning easy-to-use interface, leaving you with a deeper understanding of:
- HR’s role within your organization (and how to improve its image)
- How to add maximum value
- How to align the HR department with organizational strategy
- The challenges facing the HR profession, and how to overcome them
- When and how to conduct workplace investigations
- Minimize your company’s risk of litigation - compliance obligations, laws and essential company policies
- How to handle sticky issues such as absenteeism and poor performance
- FMLA – creating effective strategies to investigate and control abuse
- Recruitment, on-boarding, vacation, sick pay, and workers' compensation
- Training programs – develop an effective program and avoid common mistakes
- Compensation systems
- HR issues versus leadership team issues – who owns what?
- Using coaching and mentoring strategies to develop supervisors and boost employee relations
- Your career in HR: What’s next?
Over three days, we’ll cover everything you need to know to excel in your HR role, including:
- The HR profession, it’s role and challenges
- Adding value and making HR more strategically-aligned
- Understanding HR technologies and strengthening working relationships
- A framework for high performing organizations: principles, policies and employee relations
- When and how to push back on non-HR related issues
- Labor & Employment Law: Understanding compliance requirements
- Hostile work environments, harassment, discrimination and retaliation under Title VII
- Accommodating religious beliefs and practices
- Understanding the definitions, legalities and obligations of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA)
- How to handle “sticky issues”, including poor employee performance, absenteeism, and unreasonable requests
- The Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) – your compliance obligations, best practices and common mistakes
- The basics of Common Law – avoid claims, social media abuse and the risk of litigation
- The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) – your compliance responsibilities, employee behavior, disciplinary procedures and unionizing activities
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) – the process of worker classification, employees versus contractors, common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Talent acquisition – negligent hiring, background checks, screening, criminal convictions, identity and eligibility
- How to attract the best applicants, and keep them
- Effective orientation and on-boarding strategies
- Pay – tackling pay inequality and retaining the best talent using the Total Rewards model
- Successful performance management and annual reviews
- Next steps for your career in HR – create your personal and professional action plan
After successfully completing this three-day course, you will be awarded the "HR Generalist Certificate", a valuable and permanent addition to your professional resume.
Who Should Attend?
This course is suitable for anyone in the HR profession. Whether you are an HR Assistant or Supervisor – just starting out or an experienced professional looking to boost your knowledge, you’ll find a wealth of useful information and strategies.